Home Heating Heroes
Your Guide to Home Heating and Cooling Systems
10 Best Ductless Air Conditioner – Reviewed and Rated 2021
Want the cooling power of a central air conditioner without the high cost?
What you need is a ductless air conditioner.
A ductless air conditioner or split unit air conditioner is not as large or expensive as a central air conditioner but offers just as much cooling. They are also much easier to install. But with the variety of ductless air conditioners on the market, figuring out the best one for you can be overwhelming.
The Pioneer Air Conditioner WYS012-19 is our top choice for the best ductless air conditioner because of its high cooling power, user-friendliness, energy-efficiency, features, and dependability.
How to Pick The Perfect Ductless Air Conditioner For Your Needs?
There are various types of air conditioners on the market from various brands, and each one comes with its own unique set of features and benefits. Keep the following in mind when shopping if you want to get the best ductless air conditioner for you:
Higher-end ductless air conditioners typically generate more cooling and have more features. They also cost more than regular models. The cheapest models are often less durable and reliable for effective cooling.
To pick the right one, go for one whose price tag falls within your budget and offers all of the features you need to the degree you need them.
Do you need a ductless air conditioner that can cool multiple rooms or just one room?
If you need one for multiple rooms, you don’t have to buy multiple air conditioners. There are models like the PIONEER Air Conditioner WYS020GMHI22M2 that can cool two to five rooms at the same time.
Such air conditioners come with one outside unit (the engine) and multiple indoor units/sections that you can install in different rooms. You can control each indoor unit separately without affecting the performance of the others.
Multi-split unit air conditioners are far more energy and cost-efficient than installing different air conditioners for separate rooms.
But if all you need is air conditioning for one room, then you can go for a single-zone ductless air conditioner.
Power / BTU Requirements
BTU (British Thermal Unit) represents the cooling power of an air conditioner. The higher the BTU of a cooling unit, the higher its ability to cool a room.
To find an air conditioner that’s powerful enough to adequately cool the room you need it in, go for a unit with enough BTUs to cover the space. For example, cooling a 150 square feet room will require a unit with 5,000 BTUs, while a 500 square feet room will need 11,000 BTUs. One thousand square feet will require 18,000 BTUs.
To be on the safe side, and for maximum cooling, always go for an air conditioning unit that offers slightly more BTUs than you need, not less.
The bigger the size of a room, the bigger the air conditioner you’ll need, and the more energy it will consume to cool that room. High energy consumption equals high electricity bills, which can be a real financial burden.
If you want to be able to use your ductless AC with fewer worries about energy bills, go for an energy-efficient one. Energy-efficient ductless air conditioners typically have an Energy Star certification as proof.
Another way to verify the energy efficiency of an AC is its SEER rating. The higher the SEER rating, the better. More energy-efficient models have SEER ratings between 17 and 20.
Ease of Installation
Split unit air conditioners are generally easier to install when compared to central air units. Some are so easy to install that you can do it yourself, while others require the expertise of an HVAC contractor.
If the installation of an AC requires a professional, make sure to hire someone familiar with the model. If not, a poorly done installation will affect the AC’s performance and may even void its warranty.
The more complicated a split unit is to install, the higher its cost of installation will be.
To save money, go for a model that’s as easy as possible to install and comes with all the components that are necessary for installation. It’s cheaper, and you’ll have fewer worries about something going wrong during or after installation.
Various factors affect the longevity of a ductless air conditioner, including its installation, how intensively you use it, and the quality of its components. Since purchasing and installing a ductless air conditioner isn’t cheap, it’s best to go for a model that will last for years without complications.
The more durable a model is, the less you’ll have to worry about costly repairs or about having to replace the whole system. Customer reviews and the opinion of HVAC contractors are good places to find out about the durability of an air conditioner model.
Also, to be on the safe side, opt for an option with an extended warranty. That way, if something goes wrong, the cost of its repair or replacement won’t be on you.
Some air conditioners, especially high-end ones, come with additional features for your convenience. Some of the most important extra features include remote control, programmable timer, and reusable filters. Any good air conditioner should at least have these features.
Other useful features include a dehumidifier and heating feature. These features will probably increase the price of the air conditioner, but the extra expense is definitely worth the comfort.
Pioneer Air Conditioner WYS012-19
Beautiful design that looks good in a home
Functions as an effective cooling, heating, and dehumidifying system
Comes with a complete installation kit
PIONEER Air Conditioner WYS020GMHI22M2
Great value product
Delivers effective cooling and heating
Comes with an impressive warranty
Superior energy-efficiency with a 22 SEER rating
Senville SENL-18CD Mini Split Air Conditioner
Energy-efficient and quiet performance
Can function as an air conditioner, heater, dehumidifier and fan
Comes with a complete installation kit and installation manual
MRCOOL Comfort Made Simple MRCOOL DIY
You can control it via a remote or smartphone app
Leakage detection alarm
Can produce 18,000 BTUs
Klimaire Ductless Mini-Split Inverter Air Conditioner KSIV
Convenient remote control
Built-in compressor heater
Top 10 Best Ductless Air Conditioner Reviews
1. Pioneer Air Conditioner WYS012-19 – Best Overall
The Pioneer Air Conditioner WYS012-19 is our top pick for the best ductless air conditioner because of its high-quality and impressive features. It is energy-efficient with a SEER rating of 19, saving you money all year round when using it as a cooling or heating system, or dehumidifier.
Whether you are using this ductless air conditioner for cooling in summer or heating during winter, it offers silent operation that won’t interfere with the peace of your home. Also, even though it is energy-efficient, it is powerful enough to generate 12,000 BTUs per hour to cool a medium to large size room.
The unit comes with various features for your convenience and to keep installation costs minimal. For example, it has a user-friendly remote and reusable air filter. Plus, there’s a 5-year warranty on the compressor to ensure your purchase is risk-free.
Simply put, the Pioneer Air Conditioner WYS012-19 offers in spades everything you could ask for from a ductless air conditioner.
- Beautiful design that looks good in a home
- Functions as an effective cooling, heating, and dehumidifying system
- Highly energy-efficient
- Comes with a complete installation kit for quick and easy installation
- Quiet performance even during intensive use
- Comes with a 5-year warranty
- Easy to understand and use controls
- Very durable
- Some customers reported need AC specialist handle the installation
- May not entirely cool larger spaces
2. PIONEER Air Conditioner WYS020GMHI22M2 Multi-Split Unit – Best Multi-Split System
Want to avoid the cost of buying and installing multiple ACs for the various rooms in your home?
The PIONEER WYS020GMHI22M2 Multi-Split Unit offers the perfect solution in the form of a system that comes with multiple indoor units. You can get it with two, three, or five indoor units to cool various rooms in your home.
The engine of this ductless AC is energy-efficient, yet powerful enough to power all of its indoor units to cool their rooms effectively. It has a 21.3 SEER rating for energy-efficiency, whether you are using it for heating, cooling, or dehumidifying.
When running two, three, or five indoor units at a time, the system remains impressively quiet, making it ideal for both residential and business settings. For your convenience, easy to use remotes are included for each of the indoor units.
Also, your purchase will come with a complete installation kit for an inexpensive and effective installation.
- Great value product
- Delivers effective cooling and heating
- Superior energy-efficiency with a 22 SEER rating
- Programmable features for your convenience and user-friendly controls
- Comes with an impressive warranty
- Silent operation
- Durable and attractive design
- Washable and reusable air filters
- Lots of positive reviews
- Installation isn’t straightforward and requires a professional
- Quite pricey
3. Senville SENL-18CD Mini Split Air Conditioner
This Senville model is a great product that’s a worthy competitor for the Pioneer Air Conditioner WYS012-19. It delivers effective cooling, dehumidification, and satisfactory heating with 18,000 BTUs. There’s even a Turbo Function that delivers even colder or warmer air for faster results.
The entire system is energy-efficient with a 19 SEER rating and runs quietly to ensure you can enjoy being cool in peace.
It’s not as affordable as similar options on the market, but the extra price is worthwhile considering the reliability of the product and its comfort features. It also comes with a complete installation kit to minimize the cost of setting up, especially if you choose to do it yourself.
Its LED display screen on the indoor unit looks lovely, and the air filters provide cleaner air within your room.
In summary, it’s a great choice as long as you can afford it.
- Energy-efficient and quiet performance
- Can function as an air conditioner, heater, dehumidifier and fan
- Comes with a complete installation kit and installation manual
- Beautiful design that looks good indoors
- Its washable filters improve indoor air quality
- Turbo function for faster cooling or heating
- User-friendly controls
- Having an unlicensed person install it can void its warranty
- May require some special HVAC tools to install properly
4. MRCOOL Comfort Made Simple MRCOOL DIY
Unlike the above ductless air conditioners that require a professional for safe installation, the MRCOOL DIY Comfort Made Simple’s design wants you to install your AC yourself.
Whether or not you’ve done an installation before, you shouldn’t have any issues installing this unit. The package comes with everything you need for a quick and smooth installation.
Aside from its ease of installation, the MRCOOL DIY makes our list of best ductless air conditioner for its appealing features. It can produce 18,000 BTUs to cool or warm your home, and you can control these features through Alexa or an app on your smartphone.
With the Android or iPhone app, or Alexa, you’ll have full control over the AC from anywhere in the world. And don’t worry about losing control if the power goes off. When the power returns, the unit’s auto-restart feature will start the AC again for you with your last settings.
Sleep mode is another convenient feature. It automatically adjusts the temperature of the AC as you sleep to deliver the best cooling or heating. There’s also a leakage detection system that protects your investment by warning you when the compressor is low on coolant, thus, preventing damage.
Simply put, the MRCOOL DIY is an effective AC with lots of helpful features.
- Affordable price
- You can control it via a remote or smartphone app
- Delivers effective cooling and heating
- Leakage detection alarm prevents damage to the compressor
- Easy and cheap to install
- Impressive warranty
- Durable design
- Its heating is not as effective as other models
- Poor installation manual
- Won’t connect to the app if there’s no Wi-Fi for the unit
5. Klimaire Ductless Mini-Split Inverter Air Conditioner KSIV
The Klimaire KSIV can easily keep a 550 square feet room cool or warm. The unit remains energy-efficient at 19 SEER. It’s also quiet, generating between 25 and 30 decibels, even during intensive use.
Installation is straightforward and inexpensive thanks to the system’s installation kit coming with all of the necessary accessories and cables.
Because of the sturdy build and Anti-Corrosive Golden Fin of this ductless air conditioner, you won’t have to worry about its durability.
Even more impressive, there’s an automatic defrost feature that prevents condensation from damaging the compressor and a self-cleaning filter that delivers clean air around the clock.
- Convenient remote control
- Comes with a complete installation kit for an easy and inexpensive installation
- Built-in compressor heater for higher efficiency and reliability
- Energy-efficient and quiet performance
- Self-cleaning filters for optimal air quality
- Comes with a 5-year manufacturer warranty
- Turbo function for faster cooling and heating
- Effective dehumidification settings
- Using an uncertified person to install the AC may void its warranty
- Difficult to understand installation instructions
6. Innovair Air Conditioner Inverter Ductless Wall Mount – Best Budget Choice
If you want the best ductless air conditioner that won’t burn too big a hole in your wallet, go for an Innovair. This model comes with an innovative design that delivers turbo cooling and hyper heating for about $650.
The cost of installation is also low, thanks to the installation kit that comes with each unit.
What about long-term cost benefits?
You get that too with Innovair’s very energy-efficient AHRI certified Inverter system that delivers 12,000 BTUs for your heating and cooling. The unit can also serve as a dehumidifier, meaning you are getting all three quality appliances in one robust system.
The Innovair ductless AC comes Wi-Fi ready, so you can use an app to control it and has a multi-layer air filter for optimal air quality. This Innovair product is a good budget buy that you’ll be proud of for years.
- Multiple cooling, dehumidifying, and heating modes
- Energy-efficient performance
- It comes Wi-Fi ready and with an installation kit
- Its multi-layer indoor filter removes particles and odors
- Small unit with powerful cooling and heating
- Comes with a 5-year limited compressor warranty and 1-year limited warranty on parts
- Not as effective in large rooms
- Installation by professional may be necessary if you’re not a DIYer
7. Senville SENA-18MO-209
Like the PIONEER WYS020GMHI22M2, the Senville SENA-18MO-209 is a multi-split unit with one outside engine that can power multiple indoor units. This particular model can connect to only two indoor units and deliver optimal cooling and heating.
The entire system is durable and dependable, delivering energy-efficient yet high-performance cooling and heating. The system’s Whisper Technology also ensures that you can enjoy full use of the AC without worrying about noise.
- Looks good
- Comes with an easy to follow installation kit
- Each indoor unit works as an air conditioner, heat pump, fan, and dehumidifier
- Energy-efficient and quiet
- Comes with a remote for each indoor unit
- 7-year warranty on the compressor and 2-year warranty on parts
- Requires a professional for installation
8. DuctlessAire 24,000 BTU 20.5 SEER
Here’s a powerful ductless AC that can deliver 24,000 BTUs without compromising on energy-efficiency. It’s Energy Star certified and has a SEER rating of 20.5, which is super impressive.
For your safety, this DuctlessAire uses R410a refrigerant, which is environmentally-friendly. There are also HEPA washable air filters to improve indoor air quality and a complete installation kit to keep installation costs minimal.
Altogether, this is a powerful air conditioner that you should consider if you want extreme cooling. But note that it’s quite pricey.
- Very energy-efficient
- Washable air filters for clean indoor air
- Supercharged cooling
- Self-diagnosis feature for quickly troubleshooting issues
- Quiet operation
- Refrigerant Leak Detection feature to protect the system
- Needs a professional for installation
- More expensive than alternative products
9. COOPER AND HUNTER Alice
This COOPER AND HUNTER model is probably the most affordable ductless air conditioner you can get. Even though it’s slightly cheaper than the Innovair, it’s not our best budget choice because the Innovair beats it in terms of power and comfort features.
Nonetheless, the COOPER AND HUNTER Alice is an attractive product for its price. With a 16 SEER rating, it’s not the most energy-efficient split air conditioner and heater on our list, but it does deliver quiet cooling and heating.
- Attractive price
- Comes with a 7-year compressor warranty and a 5-year warranty on everything else
- Full feature remote control
- Quiet operation
- Comes with an easy installation kit for DIY installation
- Works best in small rooms
- Not the most energy-efficient choice
10. DAIKIN 24,000 BTU 17 SEER Wall-Mounted Ductless Mini-Split A/C
This Daikin is a big ductless AC for a big room. Its 24,000 BTUs are enough to cool a 1,500 square feet room with ease.
It has Turbo modes for the fast cooling and warming of a room and keeps things energy-efficient with a 17 SEER rating. Comfort features such as Advanced Filtration and Wireless Control are available to ensure that you can enjoy this unit with ease.
Plus, there’s a 10-year warranty to ensure your purchase is risk-free
- Big AC with powerful cooling
- Comes with a 10-year limited parts warranty
- Installation kit and wall bracket for inexpensive installation
- Energy-efficient and durable design
- Quiet operation
- Suitable for commercial or home use
- Needs a professional for installation
- May be costly for a budget minded buyer
The best ductless air conditioner for your money won’t exceed your budget yet offer all the features you need. The Pioneer Air Conditioner WYS012-19 meets this description with its reasonable price, reliability, low running cost, and amazing cooling features, making it our pick for the best ductless AC on the market.
Homeheatingheroes.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Affiliate Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.