Home Heating Heroes
Your Guide to Home Heating and Cooling Systems
Best Fire Pits of 2022 - Excellent For Your Backyard (UPDATED)
Fire pits are great for starting safe fires in the yard of your home and keep warm while you stare at the stars. There are even options that you can install indoors, use for cooking, or take along with you on trips.
Since there are different types of fire pits from various brands, figuring out the best one for you can be confusing.
Table of Contents
Quick Comparison Chart
Outland Living Series 401 44-Inch Outdoor Propane Gas Fire Pit
Very durable and stylish design
Easy to assemble
Safe and smoke-free operation
Can generate up to 35,000 BTU
Black tempered glass tabletop
Double Flame Breeo Patio Smokeless Fire Pit
Generates good heat
Durable and portable design
Easy to install
Delivers smokeless flames
Heavy-duty stainless steel
Outland Firebowl 883 Mega Outdoor Propane Gas Fire Pit
Provides a lovely ambiance and decent heating
Ideal for keeping warm and cozy
One-year Manufacturer’s Limited Warranty
Generates 58,000 BTU
Catalina Creations 29″ Heavy-Duty Cast-Iron Fire Pit
A large fire pit that delivers lots of heat
Very durable and reliable design
Includes a wire mesh spark screen cover
One-year manufacturer’s warranty
Made with heavy-duty cast iron
AmazonBasics 23.5 Inch Steel Lattice Fire Pit
Works with wood and charcoal
Simple yet effective design
Easy to maintain and clean
Safe to use
15 Best Fire Pits - Reviews
1. Outland Living Series 401 44-Inch Outdoor Propane Gas Fire Pit – Best Gas Fire Pit
The Outland Living Series 401 is our best gas fire pit because it’s durable, looks good and works great.
Its award-winning design consists of a black tempered glass tabletop and stainless-steel burner, over an aluminum frame with all-weather resistant wicker. It’s a beautiful piece that’ll look good in your yard with no worries about damage from the elements.
It’s low maintenance and uses propane gas to generate its flames and heat. It can generate up to 35,000 BTU to keep you and your company warm. We especially love that it generates minimal emissions, and getting a fire going is as safe and easy as pushing a button.
There are also user-friendly controls for selecting how high or low you want the flames to be, making this modern and stylish fire pit an excellent addition for keeping warm and beautifying your yard.
- Very durable and stylish design
- The ice glass rocks on the top make the flames very pretty
- Its adjustable flames are great for staying warm
- Easy to assemble and get a fire going
- Safe and smoke-free operation
- Lots of positive reviews
- Delivers excellent value for money
- It’s quite pricey
- Sometimes starter doesn’t work, may need to light manually
2. Double Flame Breeo Patio Smokeless Fire Pit – Best Wood Fire Pit
The Breeo Double Flame is our top pick for best wood fire pit because it’s one of the few fire pits that burn wood without generating smoke. It sounds like a fantasy, but you can enjoy a lovely wood fire experience before this fire pit with no worries about inhaling smoke or smelling smoky.
The Breeo Double Flame delivers smokeless flames and warmth thanks to its unique design that burns off smoke at its top layer by mixing it with oxygen.
For durability, this fire pit is made with a double layer of heavy-duty stainless steel that is rust and corrosion-resistant, meaning you can use it outdoors without worries.
Despite its heavy-duty materials, this fire pit is still portable at 42 pounds. Since it’s not too heavy, you can move it around your yard and take it on trips with ease.
- Durable and portable design
- Made in the USA
- Easy to install and convenient to use
- Looks good
- Lots of positive customer reviews
- You can place a grill grate over it for cooking
- Generates good heat
- Suitable for home use and outdoor use, including camping
- Its size limits how large a fire you can have
- No handles for carrying
3. Outland Firebowl 883 Mega Outdoor Propane Gas Fire Pit
Need a small gas fire pit that you can carry around in the trunk of your car?
The Outland Firebowl 883 may be small, but it’s powerful enough to generate 58,000 BTUs. That’s enough heat to warm up everyone sitting around it.
It comes with a 10-foot hose to connect it with a propane tank that’s a safe distance away. There are knobs on the side for controlling the height of the flames and lava rocks within the pit for a lovely light show. All these features combine to make the Outland Firebowl 883 pretty to look at when aflame and ideal for keeping warm and cozy.
For durability, the fire pit is made with durable and weather-resistant steel. There’s also a one-year warranty to ensure you are making a risk-free purchase.
- Provides a lovely ambiance and decent heating
- Comes with a one-year Manufacturer’s Limited Warranty
- Very portable and easy to use
- Very affordable price
- Doesn’t provide as much heat as similarly sized fire pits
- Can make a noise when in use
4. Catalina Creations 29″ Heavy-Duty Cast-Iron Fire Pit
The Catalina Creations 29″ is a traditional wood fire pit that makes our list of best fire pits for its sheer size and impressive durability.
This fire pit is made with heavy-duty cast iron and can stand outside in various weather conditions without any issues. That’s a good thing because this fire pit is heavy, and you probably won’t be enthusiastic about moving it around.
Because of its size, this fire pit can take many logs, which means you don’t have to refuel it as often when using it for several hours. It can also generate a lot of heat to keep you and a large circle of friends warm.
For safety, the fire pit comes with a mesh spark screen that keeps sparks from hopping out of the fire and causing trouble.
Aside from its functionality and safety, the Catalina Creations 29″ is also pretty to look at with stars and moons cut into its side to give it an attractive design. In addition to aesthetics, these cutout carvings serve as portals for effective airflow to keep the fire burning.
- A large fire pit that delivers lots of heat
- Very durable and reliable design
- Attractive aesthetics
- Can hold lots of wood for more substantial and longer fires
- Includes a wire mesh spark screen cover, for safety
- One-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Easy to assemble
- Quite heavy
- The mesh screen covers the top but not the cuts on the side
5. AmazonBasics 23.5 Inch Steel Lattice Fire Pit – Top Budget Choice
Want a great quality fire pit but want to spend as little as possible?
You can get the AmazonBasics 23.5 Inch Steel Lattice Fire Pit at an affordable price.
It’s a basic wood/charcoal fire pit that’s of impressive quality, despite its affordable price. It’s also very multi-functional. You can use it for both staying warm and cooking.
It’s safe to use and can retain heat for a long time. And because it’s quite large, you can use it to start a fire to warm a large circle of friends.
- Works with wood and charcoal
- Simple yet effective design
- Easy to maintain and clean
- Very affordable
- Safe to use
- Lots of emissions
- Requires frequent stoking
- You must pay extra for the cover
6. Solo Stove Bonfire Fire Pit
Here’s a cute little wood fire pit that delivers excellent heating with minimal smoke.
It is very portable, which makes storage and use around the house a cinch. It’s also durable enough for lighting and warming camping trips.
Its stainless-steel body has a double wall that increases airflow into the pit, creating hotter flames with hardly any smoke. Maintaining the pit is also super easy thanks to the ash pan at the bottom that you can easily remove and empty.
For the best flames and heating, use a hardwood like oak or maple for your fuel.
If you are interested, check out our pellet stove reviews.
- It comes with a lifetime guarantee
- Lightweight and portable design that makes it ideal for trips
- Hardly any smoke emissions
- Durable body
- Quite pricey
- You can’t cook with it
- No handles for carrying
- The Solo Stove may rust if you don’t store it well
7. Landmann 28345 Big Sky Stars and Moons Fire Pit
The Landmann 28345 is a big fire pit for people who want big fires to keep them warm for hours without constant refueling. The 12.5-inch depth of the pit can hold lots of wood for longer and hotter fires.
The fire pit is made with sturdy steel that will last for years. You can get it one of two colors, black or clay, to match your unique taste or the aesthetics of your yard.
Even though it’s quite big, the Landmann 28345 is still lightweight enough for you to move around with ease. For added convenience, the fire pit comes with a cooking grate, poker, and spark screen. All of these, plus the fire pit itself makes this a great value choice.
- Large size fire pit
- Affordable price
- Full diameter safety ring for preventing fires and burns
- Stars and moons design for aesthetics
- Available in one of two colors
- Lightweight yet durable body
- Comes with a cooking grate, spark screen, poker, and a free wood pack
- Mesh screen behind cutouts to prevent sparks from flying out
- The paint starts to peel after a while
- May rust when left in the elements
8. LEMY 32-inch Wood Burning BBQ Fire Pit
If you want a fire pit that can easily double as a BBQ grill or a cooler, we recommend the LEMY 32-inch Outdoor Fire Pit.
When using it as a fire pit, there’s a durable steel mesh and a solid frame to keep your wood fire and sparks in and deliver a longer burn. When you are ready to grill, get rid of the mesh and replace it with the grill grate that comes with the pit.
And for those hot days when all you want is something cool, you can transform the deep pit into an ice cooler for your drinks and cold snacks. It is all pretty amazing and very affordable.
The LEMY 32 also makes for a great decorative piece to uplift the aesthetics of your yard, thanks to its faux stone finish and durable steel frame that can weather the elements.
Assembling the pit is simple, which means you can start enjoying it within minutes of receiving it.
- Big fire pit for lots of wood
- Attractive design
- Easy to clean
- Comes with a rain cover for protection, a grill grate, spark screen, charcoal rack, and poker
- Very affordable
- Suitable for staying warm, grilling, or cooling drinks
- Durable steel frame with powder coating to prevent rust
- Generates quite a bit of smoke
- Pit is a bit shallow
9. Endless Summer 30″ Outdoor Propane Gas Fire Pit Table
This fire pit uses propane gas to generate 30,000 BTU and warm everyone around it. Unlike most wood fire pits, the Blue Rhino Outdoor delivers clean flames with hardly any smoke. It’s ideal for outdoor use and will beautify your yard or porch.
There’s a hidden control panel for adjusting how high or low you want the flames to be. The control feature lets you create a beautiful ambiance with low flames coming out of the blue fire rocks in the pit’s center or enjoy high flames for warmth.
Just as important, the pit is budget-friendly and very easy to use.
- Ignition start
- Can generate up to 30,000 BTU for ultimate warmth
- A subtle design that conceals the heat source and control panel
- Looks attractive
- Assembly takes some time
10. Sunnydaze Cosmic Fire Pit for Outdoors
Here’s a super large wood fire pit with a 42-inch diameter that holds lots of wood for big and long flames. This product includes the safety feature of a spark screen for keeping in check the pit’s sparks and other debris. There’s also a safety ring for support when making s’mores or cooking.
The attractive moon and star cutouts on the fire pit’s bowl, enhance its aesthetics. But unlike other fire pits with the same design, Sunnydaze has the foresight to put a mesh screen over these cutouts to prevent sparks, ash, or burning wood from falling out of the fire pit.
Despite its durable build and large size, the Sunnydaze fire pit is still quite lightweight and portable, making it a versatile and efficient product.
- Durable yet lightweight build
- Can hold lots of wood and warm more people
- Comes with a spark screen, lifting tool, and built-in grate strips
- Quick and easy to assemble
- Heat-resistant finish
- Comes with a one-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Comes with free fire safety accessories
- Prone to rust over time and will require repainting
- Screen prone to warping from heat
11. Landmann 25282 Barrone Fire Pit Antique Bronze
Looking for a classic looking wood fire pit that’ll make your yard look fancier?
The antique bronze Landmann 25282 could be what you need.
Its design is simple yet elegant. The firebox itself is contemporary with a decorative crosshatch design on the outside. In addition to looking good, the crosshatch design lets in optimal airflow to stoke the burning wood, allowing fires to burn for longer.
For safety, there’s a mesh screen over the crosshatch patterns to contain sparks without restricting airflow. There’s also a large spark screen for covering the top of the pit.
Simply put, the Landmann 25282 is an elegant product for staying warm and boosting your home’s aesthetics.
- Comes with a poker, weather cover, and large spark screen
- Durable bronze body
- Easy to assemble
- Suitable for big fires
- Easy to clean
- Generates a lot of emissions
- Gets rusty quickly
12. Catalina Creations 29.5” Crossfire Fire Pit
Here’s an outdoor crossfire fire pit that you can convert into a grill by adding its removable non-stick grill grate.
The fire pit itself is made with highly durable heavy-duty steel, and its inside is 29.5 inches wide for holding lots of wood for a large flame. There’s also a metal woven mesh spark screen and outer safety ring to keep things safe.
For heightened aesthetics and durability, the body of the fire pit has a coating of high-temperature paint. You can enjoy this fire pit in your yard for heating and various types of cooking, as well as move it around with ease, thanks to its convenient handles.
- Easy to assemble
- Large fire pit for longer-lasting flames
- Comes with a lifting/poker tool and stick-resistant stainless-steel grate for cooking
- Delivers lots of heat
- Spark screen and other safety features to prevent burns and fire accidents
- Comes with a one-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Can generate lots of smoke
- Spark Screen doesn’t fit tightly according to some customer reviews
13. Endless Summer GAD1401M LP Gas Outdoor Fireplace
If you want a fire pit that’ll be more of a permanent fixture, the Endless Summer GAD1401M works and looks great.
Since it burns LP gas for its fire and heating, you don’t have to worry about the typical troubles of running a wood fire pit. Thanks to its table design, you can comfortably sit around the Endless Summer GAD1401M and have drinks or a lovely dinner while its flames keep you warm.
The entire fire pit has a durable design with a sturdy steel frame. And to ensure that you can enjoy it for as many years as possible, the pit comes with a protective cover for when it is not in use.
- Generates sufficient heat
- Comes with lava rocks for a classy look
- Minimal emissions
- Durable design and comes with a protective cover
- Comes with a one-year limited warranty
- Attractive design for better home aesthetics
- There are customer complaints about issues with using the starter
- Propane tank is not included
14. AZ Patio Heaters GS-F-PC Propane Fire Pit
Another beautiful gas-powered pit with a table design. The AZ Patio Heater outperforms the Endless Summer by generating even more heat. Its user-friendly battery-operated pulse ignition system also lets you start fires with no stress.
Aside from being attractive, durable, and easy to use, the AZ Patio Heater is also very versatile as it can burn propane or butane safely to generate heat.
- Can run on propane or butane
- Attractive design
- Durable construction
- Generates 40,000 BTU to warm everyone in a 15 feet radius
- Quick, easy, and safe ignition start
- Comes with a one-year warranty
- Great value for the price
- Assembly takes time
- Heavy so hard to move after assembly
- Some customer complaints about the paint quality
15. Best Choice Products Hex Shaped Fire Pit
An elegant wood burning fire pit that comes in a unique design. Unlike other fire pits that are round or square, this fire pit has a unique hexagonal shape, distressed bronze finish, and rustic lattice design that makes it stand out.
In addition to its look, this fire pit is also impressive for its deep firebox, heat capacity, and safety features, making it a quality product for staying warm and beautifying your home.
- Can hold lots of wood
- Affordable price
- Spark screen for safety
- Attractive shape and durable design
- Comes with a fire-retardant lid
- The poker sold separately
- Not as rust resistant as its competitors
The best fire pit will have all the features to guarantee you can use it safely and conveniently to stay warm. Based on this, our top pick for the best fire pit that runs on gas is the Outland Living Series 401, while the Breeo Double Flame is our top pick for the best wood fire pit.
Both are fuel-efficient, safe, generate minimal emissions, user-friendly, and reliable for their primary purpose of keeping you warm.
How to Pick the Perfect Fire Pit for Your Needs?
Since there are so many types and styles of fire pits on the market, picking the best fire pit for you will require finding one that has the features to satisfy your needs best. Finding such a product requires keeping the following in mind when shopping:
How do you plan to use your fire pit?
If you need a fire pit that can keep you warm in your yard, it should be able to generate enough heat and sturdy enough to survive the elements without rusting or suffering other wear and tear.
For a fire pit that you can use indoors, you need to look out for one that is safe to use indoors and generates almost no emissions.
If your preference is a fire pit that you can take on trips, you’ll need a portable one that you can easily set up anywhere to stay warm.
Lastly, you might prefer a fire pit that can keep you warm and cook. Not all fire pits can do this, so you’ll need to look out for one that comes with a grill grate that lets you barbecue or does other forms of cooking.
Classic fire pits burn wood or charcoal to generate heat. More modern versions run on gas or electricity.
Woodfire pits are a popular choice because they deliver a more authentic fire experience, generate good heat, and create beautiful flames. On the downside, they are tougher to maintain, can be tricky to light on windy days, and traditional models can generate a lot of smoke.
Gas and electric types are cleaner and more efficient and easier to use. But they are also more expensive to run because of the cost of gas or electricity. Gas and electric versions also generate less heat than wood fire pits.
The right option for you between a gas, electric, and wood fire pit will depend on if getting maximum heat and a traditional fire experience is your priority, or lower emissions and convenience.
A fire pit can cost anywhere between $70 and $500, depending on its quality, size, and other features. Instead of going for the cheapest or most expensive option you can find, go for a reliable one that offers all the features and benefits you need at a price that you can afford.
A flame pit may be made with stainless steel or cast iron. Some more recent models are made with a combination of glass and wood. Stainless and cast-iron flame pits are more common and are a popular choice for their durability, especially when they are rust resistant.
Homeheatingheroes.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Affiliate Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.