Home Heating Heroes
Your Guide to Home Heating and Cooling Systems
15 Best Portable Air Conditioner: (Pros & Cons)
A home is not a sauna!
Summer temperatures may be on the rise, but there are several portable air conditioner options out there that can keep your home from turning into a hotbox.
That said, figuring out the best portable air conditioners for your home can be tricky, especially if you don’t know what to look out for in a product. To help eliminate the guesswork, we’ve put together a review of the best options on the market.
It’s our top pick for the best portable air conditioner because it’s easy to install, quiet, and reliable for cooling small to medium-sized spaces. It also dehumidifies.
Top Reasons to Buy:
In a Rush? Our Most Recommended..
hOmeLabs 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
Quick and easy to install
User-friendly full-feature remote control and digital control panel
Powerful air filter and dehumidifier
Cools a 400 to 600 square feet room
SereneLife 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
Works as an air conditioner, dehumidifier, and fan
Automatic swing mode
Easy to understand and use remote
Cools upto a 450 square feet room
Black + Decker BPACT14HWT Portable Air Conditioner
Lightweight with four wheels for optimal mobility
Programmable 24-hour on/off timer and sleep mode
Easy to install
Uses environmentally-friendly R410a refrigerant
LED digital display
MIDEA MAP08S1BWT Portable Air Conditioner
Programmable 24-hour time setting
Follow-Me proximity sensor
digital LED control panel and remote
Smart features including WiFi control
LG LP0818WNR Portable, White 115V Air Conditioner
Cools a 200 square feet room efficiently.
Auto swing louvers
LED display panel and remote control
Top 15 Best Portable Air Conditioners Reviews
The hOmeLabs 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner is, without a doubt, one of the best portable air conditioners on the market. It’s our top choice because of its surprisingly low noise and vibration levels, high energy-efficiency, and powerful performance.
For such a small unit, the hOmeLabs does a great job at keeping cool a 400 to 600 square feet room, regardless of the temperature outside. It also comes with a built-in 100 Pint Dehumidifier to prevent moisture-related issues, such as mold, mildew, and others.
For your convenience, the unit is easy to install with an exhaust hose that fits into most windows and adhesive foam window seals to keep your cold air inside. There’s also a user-friendly remote for when you don’t feel like using the unit’s digital control panel and wheels for easily moving the unit from room to room.
In summary, this hOmeLabs air conditioner is a powerful and versatile product in a compact package.
- Quick and easy to install
- User-friendly full-feature remote control and digital control panel.
- Powerful air filter and dehumidifier
- Wheels for convenient wheeling on most floors
- Quiet performance
- Filter indicator notifies you when it’s time for maintenance
- Quite heavy
- A bit pricey
- No built-in reservoir tank for the dehumidifier
Here’s another top choice for those that want an air conditioner that’s energy-efficient and portable enough to move around with ease.
Even though the SereneLife is one of the quietest, portable, and energy-efficient air conditioners you can get, it’s powerful enough to cool a 450 square feet room.
The best part is you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to install this unit. It comes with an exhaust hose installation that you can easily attach to most windows within minutes.
Aside from cooling rooms, the SereneLife is also great at dehumidifying. It’s capable of sucking up to 1.8 liters of water per hour out of your room, making the air more breathable and reducing the risk of mold.
All of the air conditioner’s features are easily accessible via its remote and control panel, and you can enjoy the entire unit for years, thanks to its durable build.
- Works as an air conditioner, dehumidifier, and fan
- Automatic swing mode for maximum air circulation in any room
- Easy to understand and use remote
- Highly portable and mobile
- Easy and quick to install
- Compact enough to fit most spaces
- Can be a bit loud on high settings
- The exhaust hose is a bit short
The Black + Decker BPACT14HWT is one of the most versatile portable air conditioners on the market with high customer ratings.
Unlike many of its competitors that only cool and dehumidify rooms, this air conditioner takes things further by also providing heating. Yes, the Black + Decker can keep you cool in summer and warm in winter!
It’s powerful enough to keep a 350 square feet room cool, but its heating features are more effective in 250 square feet spaces.
The unit is simple to install and even easier to control with programmable settings on its LED digital display and intuitive remote. Maintaining the unit is also easy, thanks to its removable air filter that you can remove, rinse, and return in minutes.
- Lightweight with four wheels for optimal mobility
- Programmable 24-hour on/off timer and sleep mode
- Offers fan, cooling, heating, and dehumidification
- Easy to install
- Comes with an impressive warranty
- Uses environmentally-friendly R410a refrigerant
- Easy to maintain slide-out filter
- Compact design that can fit almost anywhere
- The compressor picks up slowly
The MIDEA MAP08S1BWT is the smartest air conditioner on our list. You can control it via Alexa or an app on your Android or iPhone. Using the app is a more versatile option because you can control the air conditioner from anywhere in the world via your phone.
Another smart feature is it’s Follow Me proximity sensor that automatically regulates cooling temperatures according to your distance from the unit.
In spite of these smart features, the MIDEA MAP08S1BWT is still pretty affordable at less than $300. On the downside, the air conditioner is only powerful enough to cool about 100 square feet. But that’s not so bad if you intend to use the unit in your bedroom or home office.
Aside from being smart, the MIDEA MAP08S1BWT is versatile enough to serve as a fan and dehumidifier. It’s also energy-efficient, easy to install, user-friendly, very mobile, and comes with an impressive warranty.
- Easy to install with a long clip-on drain hose
- Programmable 24-hour time setting
- Follow-Me proximity sensor
- Lightweight and mobile
- Easy to remove, clean, and reuse air filter
- User-friendly and easy-to-read digital LED control panel and remote
- Comes with an impressive warranty
- Smart features, including Alexa voice control and Wi-Fi control
- Suitable for small rooms
- Cooling takes a while to pick up
Trying to save money but want a portable AC that can stop you from sweating?
The LG LP0818WNR is our top budget pick from the many best portable air conditioners out there.
It’ll cost you about $260 but is powerful enough to cool a 200 square feet room efficiently. Aside from the initial cost benefits, this unit also has long-term cost benefits, thanks to its highly energy-efficient system.
Cooling is quick with its auto swing louvers that generously circulate cool air to all parts of your room. It also works well as a dehumidifier, and all of its features are conveniently accessible via its LED display panel and remote control.
- Compact design that can fit any room
- Easy to install
- Very portable and mobile
- Affordable price
- User-friendly controls
- Impressive cooling
- Can get a bit noisy
- Works best in small rooms
One of these units is sufficient to keep a 300 square feet room cool. Instead of a water tank, it uses a self-evaporative system that recycles condensing water to generate more coolness. This makes it a more convenient and efficient cooling unit.
Installation is easy with the window installation kit that comes in the box.
- Compact and mobile design
- Efficient cooling
- Reasonable price
- User-friendly remote and display control
- Features a dehumidifier and fan
- Can get a bit loud
- Some customers complain about leakages
The Emerson Quiet Kool is a good portable air conditioner if your room isn’t more than 200 square feet. On the downside, unlike many of its competitors, this cooling unit doesn’t have a dehumidifier function.
As long as you don’t live in a region where humidity is an issue, the Emerson Quiet Kool is an energy-efficient cooling unit that’s an excellent fit for small rooms. Plus, it’s easy to install and comes with an impressive warranty – One year for labor, two years for parts, and five years for the compressor.
- Uses auto-evaporation technology
- Low noise emission
- Easy installation with a single-hose exhaust system
- Automatically adjusting airflow
- Programmable 24-hour timer
- User-friendly remote and display panel
- Compact, lightweight, and mobile design
- No dehumidifier
The Whynter ARC-12SD is an award-winning product that delivers cooled air via its air conditioning system and fan. It’s powerful enough to serve a 400 square feet room and also dehumidifies.
Its cooling system uses Eco-friendly CFC free Green R-410A refrigerant, and you can control its performance easily via its programmable remote or display control.
- User-friendly controls and easy to understand digital readout
- Easy installation and comes with a full installation kit
- Uses eco-friendly CFC free Green R-410A refrigerant
- Minimizes leakage with its auto drain function
- A powerful carbon air filter that’s easily washable and reusable
- Effective cooling with minimal noise
- Its dehumidifier can draw up to 96 pints of water per day
- Effective antimicrobial air filter
- Pretty loud
- Window kit doesn’t provide a perfect seal
A versatile unit that delivers powerful cooling in summer and also efficient heating in winter. The system also dehumidifies and is suitable for a 550 square feet room.
It’s built to last and comes with a useful one year warranty for a risk-free purchase. You can also rely on this unit for cleaner air in your home, thanks to its dual filters that are reusable and easy to clean.
- Dual air filters for cleaner air
- Easy to install and maintain
- User-friendly controls and programmable features, such as a 24-hour timer
- Auto evaporation system that prevents leaks
- Wheels for mobility
- The dehumidifier can remove up to 111 pints of water per day
- Its adjustable airflow keeps the whole room cool
- Thermal overload protection
- A bit heavy
- Can be noisy
- Quite pricey
This air conditioner is powerful enough to keep a 600 square feet room cool. Aside from cooling, you can also rely on this unit for Heating and Dehumidifying. You can enjoy these features in a room of your choice, thanks to the unit’s portability and wheels.
The performance of the unit is energy-efficient, and its Whisper Cool Technology keeps it mostly quiet.
- Energy-efficient performance
- Whisper Cool technology keeps the unit’s noise levels to a minimum
- The BioSilver Filter eliminates odors and keeps the air clean
- Easy to install and move around
- No-drip technology recycles condensation and minimizes messes
- User-friendly remote and display controls
- Easy to clean air filter
- Excellent cooling capacity
- A bit pricey
- Window kit and short exhaust hose isn’t very effective
- Easy to read time/temperature display
- Digital temperature controls and adjustable fan speeds
- Delivers sufficient cooling
- Affordable price
- Wheels for optimal mobility
- Easy to install and clean
- Doesn’t need a drip pan
- Its design isn’t very attractive
- Gets loud when switching between operations
It offers enough cooling to keep a 500 square feet room cozy and does it with almost no noise. The power of this portable air conditioner comes from its dual hose design that offers superior cooling.
The unit can also function as a dehumidifier, removing up to 91 pints of water per day. And for your safety, the unit uses CFC-free R-410a refrigerant and lead-free RoHS components.
- Its patented auto-drain function minimizes leakages
- Generates minimal noise
- Energy-efficient operation
- Comes with a window kit, extendable exhaust, and intake hoses
- Comprehensive and user-friendly controls for the thermostat
- Effective carbon air filter that’s reusable and washable
- Effective dehumidifier
- The dual hose design can make setting it up tricky and time-consuming
There’s no denying that this Honeywell air conditioner has an attractive aesthetic. But aside from its aesthetics, its performance is also appealing. It can generate enough chilled air to keep a 500 square feet room cool on a hot day.
It also functions as a dehumidifier capable of removing up to 80 pints of water per day from the air of your room. In addition to eliminating moisture, the unit is also effective at removing dust and hair from the air with its effective dual filters.
- Stylish design and powerful cooling
- Thermal overload protection for safety
- Automatically adjustable airflow for maximum room cooling
- Easy to clean and effective dual filters for clean air
- Easy to read LED display
- Comes with a full set window kit for quick installation
- Stress-free auto evaporation that minimizes the risk of leakages
- Quiet performance
- The thermostat is at times inaccurate
It’s a silent yet potent portable air conditioner that can quickly cool a 350 square feet room. It also dehumidifies, and its no-drip technology maximizes the use of condensation for cooling and minimizes the risk of leaks or spills.
Setting up the system is easy and quick, requiring no tools. Combine this with the lightweight design of the unit, and you’ll have no trouble moving it between rooms as many times you like.
- User-friendly features with easily programmable functions
- No-drip technology
- Provides sufficient cooling
- Quiet performance
- Comes with a window kit and remote for your convenience
- The airflow isn’t adjustable
- The body’s design isn’t very attractiv
Here’s another smart portable air conditioner that you can control via an app on your phone. It’s the perfect solution for the days you forget to turn off the AC before leaving the house. It’s also great for turning the AC on before you arrive so that the room is cool upon your arrival.
The unit is powerful enough to cool a 300 square feet room and can also function as a dehumidifier. Its non-permanent installation design and wheels also ensure that you can move it from room to room with ease, whenever you want.
- Easy and quick to install
- Convenient remote control and a digital LED display
- A smart unit that you can control and monitor via your smartphone
- Portable and lightweight
- Can function as a dehumidifier, humidifier, and air purifier
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Can be quite loud
- The thermostat isn’t always accurate
Final Verdict: Best Portable Air Condition For Your Money:
Based on customer reviews and our experience, among the best portable air conditioners on our list, the hOmeLabs 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner is the best choice!
Its price is fair, considering the many functions and benefits that it offers. Plus, its design and performance are reliable, and it’s powerful enough to cool most rooms in your home sufficiently. You also get the added benefit of a dehumidifier and air filter to keep the air in your home clean and pleasant.
How to Pick The Perfect Portable Air Conditioner For Your Needs?
Your purpose for buying and installing a portable air conditioner will determine the perfect one for you. The right air conditioner must come with features that satisfy your unique needs.
At the very least, the right product should have the following features:
How much cooling do you need?
It’s an important question to ask before buying a portable air conditioner. If you purchase an air conditioner that’s capable of cooling a 200 square feet room when you need one for a 500 square feet room, there’s no way that product will satisfy your needs.
It’s best to always go for a portable air conditioner that can offer more cooling than you actually need.
Ventilation System Type
The type of ventilation system on a portable air conditioner will determine how much cooling the appliance can provide and how easy it’ll be to install.
Most portable air conditioners either have a single-hose or double-hose ventilation system. Double-hose systems are generally more powerful but trickier to install. They also consume more energy and are louder because they operate with two fans.
The right choice for you will depend on if easy installation, quietness, and energy-efficiency are your priority or maximum cooling.
Some air conditioners blow cool air in only one direction, which takes longer to cool a room. An air conditioner with adjustable airflow, especially those that adjust automatically, will circulate cool air around a room faster.
Adjustable airflow on an air conditioner also means that you don’t have to sit directly opposite the cooling system to enjoy its full effect.
Do you need an air conditioner that can vent air through a door, wall, or window?
Systems that can vent through a window are generally preferable since you can install them in any room that’s not windowless. If not, you may find yourself creating a hole in your wall for the air conditioner’s vent hose.
The more user-friendly your air conditioner is, the easier it’ll be to get the most use out of it.
The control panel on the appliance should be easy to understand and offer options that best suit your needs. For example, there should be programmable features for temperature, airspeed, operation duration, and so on.
It’s also ideal if the system comes with a remote control that lets you operate it from afar.
The best value portable air conditioners are those that can double as dehumidifiers. Some air conditioners have exclusive settings that make them even more powerful dehumidifiers. Go for such options if a dehumidifier is something you need in your home.
The less energy your portable air conditioner consumes to cool a room, the more you can use it without worrying about electric bills.
A portable unit should be light enough to move around and have built-in wheels for easy and quick relocation.
Portable air conditioners that are completely silent are rare. At the very least, the best air conditioner for your home shouldn’t generate enough noise to constitute a nuisance.
The cheapest air conditioners are typically not as powerful as more expensive options. If on a budget, go for a unit with features that satisfy your needs without exceeding your budget.
Homeheatingheroes.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Affiliate Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.